Mayer is dedicated to assisting business owners at all stages of their company’s lifecycle, from formation and operation to sale or dissolution of the company. Additionally, Mayer has successfully negotiated on his clients’ behalf before the Internal Revenue Service, the California Franchise Tax Board, the California State Board of Equalization, and other taxing authorities.
Mayer began his career as a tax professional with the accounting firm of Holthouse, Carlin and Van Trigt, LLP and went on to become a tax manager with Deloitte Tax, LLP. He is fluent in several languages, including Farsi, Hebrew, Italian, and Spanish.
Mayer takes pride in his extensive community and volunteer work, from pro bono legal services to working with a non-profit organization providing musical instruments and music therapy to children with chronic illnesses.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Tax and Wealth Planning Group
- Business and Finance Group
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Tax Planning
- Tax Research
- Tax Consultation
- Tax Controversy
- Business and Finance
- Estate Planning
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, Los Angeles, CA – Juris Doctor, 2002
- University of Southern California Marshall School of Business, Los Angeles, CA – Master of Business Taxation, 2002
- University of California at Los Angeles – Bachelor of Arts in Economics with a Minor in Accounting, 1998
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Taxation Section) – Chair
- State Bar of California – Member
- American Bar Association (Taxation Section) – Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Taxation Section) – Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Business Law, Taxation, and Trust & Estates Sections) – Member
- Treasurer, Children’s Music Fund
- Pro Bono services: Bet Tzedek Legal Services
- California, 2003
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
- “Innovative Tax Planning with Passive Losses”, Mayer Nazarian and Philip Holthouse, AICPA National Real Estate Conference
- “The Domestic Production Activity Deduction: Are you leaving money on the table?” – Lecture presented before professionals on valuable tax deductions for companies operating in the U.S.
- “Shakedown at Gucci Gulch: A Tale of Death, Money & Taxes” – Researcher for publication by Edward J. McCaffery & Linda R. Cohen related to taxation and politics.
- “Fair Not Flat: How to Make the Tax System Better and Simpler” – Researcher for book by Edward J. McCaffery related to alternative tax structure.