Individuals and Families
We handle the gamut of issues pertaining to individuals and families, including:
- Individual tax and estate planning,
- Family wealth planning
- Complex issues affecting high net-worth individuals
- Family law issues, including pre-marital agreements, marital dissolution, and child custody disputes
- Represented family in personal bankruptcy of family member, to buy debtor's interests in family businesses from Chapter 7 trustee in court-approved sale and avoid outsiders from acquiring those interests.
- Assisted clients in using IRS-approved estate planning technique to transfer a portion of the family business, worth several hundred million dollars, to their children with zero gift tax.
- Enabled a parent to lend $30 million to a trust for a child through creative life insurance planning. The funds were used to purchase a $180 million life insurance policy on the child for the benefit of the grandchildren. Less than $1 million of gift tax exemption was used.
- Defeated IRS attempt to assess over $500 million in estate tax. A complete victory for the estate.
- Represented beneficiaries of a family trust in a contested estate trial. Succeeded in having a neutral trustee established and winning a $22 million judgment for our clients,
- Successfully represented member of a famed rock band in securing IRS tax refund in excess of a quarter million dollars.
- Represented trustee falsely accused of various breaches of trust and settled with no financial harm to trustee.